Sunday, May 06, 2007

Semantic Bookshelf?

I added a little listing of random books from my librarything.com collection to the sidebar last weekend. I discovered the site listening to the podcast of Open Source Radio entitled Weinberger's Miscellany. The site intrigued me as both a way to sort and organize my own books (I had been planning on building a small database), but also to seek out recommendations based on what I own, display them here, and peek into friends' libraries as well as seek out new friends with similar interests.

So far, I've gotten a handful of friends hooked on it as well. If you don't do anything like this for a while, you forget how attached people are to the books they've read and love. Its been amazing to realize just how upset I am that there are half a dozen or so (all my Nick Hornby, some Douglas Coupland, William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Robert Heinlein and Philip K. Dick) books that I've either had go missing on me, or simply lost over the years and moving around.

Its also given me a bit of a shake-up as I realize just how many graphic novels I've accumulated. That doesn't even begin to get into the comics that line shelves in my bedroom; though some of the better series' I've started to pick up graphic novel forms of, because its more convenient to loan those out to friends who aren't already into comics, or haven't read certain series, etc.

Also started a tumbelog this weekend, although its mostly feeds from this page and my shared items in google reader, through Tumblr, and I'm adding a link to that on this page as well.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wow! I love this Library thing.